Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Blood Drive

One of the best experiences that I had as a member of the DCYAC and the Health and Human services subcommittee was participating in the 2010 Blood Drive in conjunction with Washington Hospital Center and The Sidwell Friends School.

It was something g that I had never done before but I felt that it would be a nice way to give back to my community. I was a little nervous at first because people were telling me that I would lose a lot of blood and I was concerned about losing enough blood to the point where I would probably pass out!

When we arrived at the Sidwell Friends school I saw the amount of blood that they would be taking out of me, that’s when I really got nervous. When I sat in the chair, I saw the biggest needle that I had ever seen in my life. Now, I’m not afraid of needles or anything but that was a huge needle. When it went in my arm, blood shot out to my wrist. After that everything was perfectly fine. My favorite part was when I received all of the cookies and candy after I was finished giving blood. I felt good about myself knowing that I gave someone else a second chance at life.

By Anthony McCannon

No comments:

Parents of DCYAC Councilmembers

Parents of DCYAC Councilmembers

Mayor Fenty with one of the Councilmembers

Mayor Fenty with one of the Councilmembers

DCYAC Chairman

DCYAC Chairman
DCYAC Chairman Phil Martin speaking

DCYAC Directors Sean Gough and Sarah Williams with councilmember

DCYAC Directors Sean Gough and Sarah Williams with councilmember

some of the DCYAC Members

some of the DCYAC Members

DCYAC Councilmembers about to make their speech

DCYAC Councilmembers about to make their speech

DCYAC Councilmember Tiara speaking

DCYAC Councilmember Tiara speaking

Mayor Adrian Fenty

Mayor Adrian Fenty
Mayor Adrian Fenty speaking at closing event

DCYAC Councilmember speaking

DCYAC Councilmember speaking

DCYAC Closing Ceremony 2010

DCYAC Closing Ceremony 2010
Ward 2 Council Member, Ryan Washigton w/Ward 7 Council Member Deandre Horne working on the guest list.